Paper Piecing Paradise
With: Daphne Greig
Skill Level: All Levels
Fundamentals of paper piecing
Tags: Patchwork, Foundation Paper Piecing, tree blocks, cabin block, star blocks, flower blocks, custom layout, flying geese borders, foundation pieced log cabin blocks, Add-a-Quarter ruler, crazy piecing
Paper piecing, foundation piecing, sew and flip, whatever you call this method, using it you will give you perfect blocks and no more chopped off points! During this class, Daphne will show you how to create your foundations, select and prepare your fabrics and how to sew perfect blocks every time. Even traditional blocks can be pieced this way; it is not just for small blocks or unusual blocks with sharp points. You can make the layout as shown in the class sample or rearrange the blocks to create a sampler or a completely different scene. This is a paper piecing starter class, suitable for beginners with basic quilt making skills.
Supplies Required for Workshop
In this class, you will learn how to
- download a foundation piecing design from the Internet
- choose a foundation material
- set up your machine for foundation piecing
- foundation piece a cabin block
- use Add-a-Quarter™ rulers when foundation piecing
- make multiples of a foundation
- pre-cut shapes to speed up foundation piecing
- foundation piece nine different blocks including multi-part blocks
- foundation piece strips of Flying Geese for borders
- chain sew when foundation piecing (and why you would want to)
- add an inner border and outer foundation pieced border
- finish your wall hanging
100% cotton fabric, prewash, dry and iron before you begin. The picture will give you ideas on fabric choices.
|Cabin Parts (these amounts are for one cabin):
7" x 4"
6" x 4"
2" x 4"
|Sky (5 different non-directional fabrics)||1/4 yard of EACH fabric|
|Water (3 different watery fabrics)||1/8 yard of EACH fabric|
|Trees (4 leafy fabrics)||1/4 yard of EACH fabric|
|Grass (3 grassy fabrics)||1/4 yard of EACH fabric|
|Background (select a green that is lighter than all your tree fabrics)||1/2 yard|
|Tree trunks - brown wood-like fabric||1/8 yard|
|Stars (2 gold fabrics)||1/8 yard of EACH fabric|
|Flowers (2 red or pink fabrics)||1/8 yard of EACH fabric|
- cotton or cotton/poly batting, 32" x 34"
- 1 1/2 yards of foundation material or 1 package of EQ Foundation Sheets or Fundation
- neutral cotton piecing thread - I recommend a medium shade of gray
- rotary cutter, mat and 24" rotary ruler
Add-a-Quarter Ruler - 6" or 12" long
If you cannot find Add-a-Quarter rulers, these can be ordered from Daphne at www.patchworkstudio.com. Registered students will receive a 10% discount on these supplies purchased for this class. BE SURE TO TYPE 'ACADEMY OF QUILTING' IN THE SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS BOX ON THE ORDER FORM, SO WE WILL KNOW TO GIVE YOU THE DISCOUNT.