Display Your Quilts
With: Susan Dorchester
Skill Level: All Levels
Instructions for hanging and displaying your quilts
Tags: Decorate, Home Décor, Display Ideas, Quilt Storage
This class is for anyone with quilts to show off. Whether you are new to quilting or have been quilting for years, Susan will help you with ideas on how to best display quilts in your home. You will also learn how to store your quilts safely. Detailed instructions and photos will provide guidelines for hanging with many different techniques. There are ideas for all styles of quilts, from traditional to art quilts. You will also learn how to use artist canvas to display quilts. Skill level: all.
Supplies Required for Workshop
The most important items needed for this class are your finished quilts. Whether you have only a few quilts, piles of quilts or even quilt tops, we will discuss ways to display them.
If your quilts will be displayed on a wall, there are a few basic supplies that will be needed.
- 5/8" wooden dowel or 2" x 1" board cut to fit inside sleeve
- picture wire
- screw eyes for wire
- backing fabric or muslin for quilt sleeve
Additional supplies for this class will depend on which techniques you choose to try. Each technique will have a supply list and you may already have some of the supplies. You will only need to buy supplies as needed for the techniques you wish to try.
Lesson One: Basic quilt care
- Quilt Storage
- General guidelines for displaying your quilts
- Room by room display of your quilts
Lesson Two: Hanging methods
- Using rods, corbels and cornices
- How to use tab holders
- Hanging techniques for special quilt shapes
- More hanging ideas
Lesson Three: More display ideas
- How to use an artist canvas
- Three ways to attach quilts to a canvas
- Using the reverse side of the canvas
- How to make a quilted frame