Stained Glass Applique for Beginners
With: Ruth Blanchet
Skill Level: Beginner
Learn stained glass applique skills by creating one of two projects - a poinsettia or sunflower
Price: $42.00 or $56.00
Start Date: To Be Advised
Tags: Stained Glass Applique, Bias Binding, Applique, Poinsettia Quilt, Machine Applique, Sunflower quilt
Learn the ins and outs of stained glass applique while making this delightful project. There is no quilting required and all stitching can be done with straight stitch - or if you prefer, by hand (not shown in instructions but advice will be given in the forum). You can make this beautiful poinsettia project in no time at all with pre-made bias or make your own original bias with the instructions included - several methods taught in class. A fun easy quilt which makes an ideal Christmas gift.
Level: Ideal for beginners in stained glass applique but suitable for all levels
I showed my DIL my projects. After we talked a while, she said, "you really like taking classes from her, don't you?" I had to say a resounding, "Yes!". I have already signed up for the next one.
Supplies Required for Workshop
Class workshop include instructions for making your own bias binding and fusible tape as an alternative to purchasing pre-made bias. There are two methods, you may choose either or try both.
Either method requires:
- 1/2 yd fabric for bias
- 1yd fusible webbing or ONE 40ft pack of 5mm fusible tape
- Method One only: requires a 1/4" or 3/8" bias bar
- Method Two only: requires a 1/4" bias tape maker
Full discussions about equipment are included in the first lesson to help you decide.
If you do not wish to make your own bias binding you will need 9 yds of Fusible Bias Binding OR Bias Binding & pack of 40ft 5mm fusible tape. Recommended: 11 yd Fusible Bias Binding on reel made by Clover.
- ONE x fat quarter Border Fabric
- 3/4 yd Background Fabric
- Small amounts of red and green fabric for applique
- Yellow/gold 1/2" beads or buttons
- 1/4 yd Binding Fabric
- 3/4 yd Backing Fabric
- 3/4 yd Batting
- 1yd fusible webbing
- Black Thread or thread to match bias binding
- Sewing machine and accessories
- Quilting pencil or removable marking pen
- General quilting tools such as rotary cutter, mats, rulers, pins, safety pins, etc
- Teflon Sheet, parchment paper or baking paper
- Lightbox may be useful