BOM Spring Life
With: Ruth Blanchet
Skill Level: Beginner-Intermediate
Beautiful Butterflies and flowers BOM project with easy adjustable size options, a bonus part and alternative applique and embroidery options
Tags: Applique Butterfly, Applique Flower, Block of the Month, Applique
This is a 10 part BOM program with one bonus part to make Ruth's BOM quilt Spring Life. The quilt design includes 6 different butterflies and 4 flower designs. The entire program includes full applique instructions with alternative methods of applique and videos to show you how. Each part includes at least one helpful video but often 3 or more. Also included is a learning discussion forum for questions and answers for as long as you need to complete the project.
Sign up now and complete this quilt in your own time frame, as quickly or as slowly as you wish.
As a bonus enjoy an extra part (part 11) for free! Part 11 will include quilting instructions and how to enlarge or reduce the patterns to create your quilt to suit your own specific quilt size.
Supplies Required for Workshop
Quilt & General Supplies:
- Light fabric: 2 yds x WOF (width of fabric)
- Medium/light fabric for border: 2 yds x WOF
Note: The background uses whole cloth so the wider this is, the wider your quilt can be. Add 16" to this for borders to get an approximate overall quilt size.
Subtle piecing can make up the background in which case you will need to determine the amount of border fabric required.
The borders are cut lengthwise dividing the fabric into quarters to cut four same length strips.
- Backing fabric & Batting - this needs to be at least 4" larger than finished quilt. Note: if using a longarm quilter, ask them what is required as it is generally a lot more than 4"
- Fusible webbing
- Threads to match border and any applique fabrics below for applique and embroidery - preferably machine embroidery thread and/or hand embroidery threads if stitching embroidery by hand
- Teflon Sheet or Baking Paper (to build your applique on)
- General quilting supplies
Specific Supplies for each Part
Part One: Large Orange Butterfly
- Black Fabric: 13" x 18"
- Orange fabric: 9" x 18"
- White fabric: 5" x 10"
Part Two: Hibiscus Floral Design
- Dark fabric (swirls): 12" x 18"
- Medium fabric (outer flower section): 12" x 12"
- Light Fabric (inner flower section): 8" x 8"
- Yellow Fabric (flower stamen): 4" x 4"
Part Three: Purple Butterfly (makes 2 - one of each size)
- Dark Purple: 11" x 6"
- Light Purple: 9" x 6"
- Black: 3" x 2"
Part Four: Blue Butterfly (makes 2 - one of each size)
- Black fabric:: 8" x 10"
- Blue fabric: 9" x 7"
- Purple fabric: 5" x 5"
- Yellow fabric: 3" x 3" (Optional)
Part Five: Pale Yellow Butterfly
- Black fabric: 10" x 7"
- Lemon or pale yellow fabric: 8" x 5"
- White fabric: 2" x 2"
Part Six: Small Orange Butterfly
- Black fabric: 11" x 8"
- Orange fabric: 10" x 5"
- White embroidery thread (machine for machine stitching or stranded for hand)
Part Seven: Yellow Butterfly
- Black fabric: 11" x 8"
- Yellow fabric: 10" x 5"
Part Eight: Morning Glory - Note: Requirements are for ONE corner bouquet (FOUR required for quilt)
- Dark Purple fabric: 7" x 7"
- Medium Purple fabric: 5" x 5"
- Light Purple fabric: 6" x 6"
- Assortment of Green fabrics: THREE or FOUR 5" squares
Part Nine: Clematis
- Assortment of Pink fabrics: 5" x 5" per flower (12 flowers in total on quilt)
- Yellow fabric: 5" x 5" or scraps - only requires small amount for each flower
- Assortment of Green fabric: 3" x 3" per leaf (28 leaves in total on quilt)
Part Ten: Black-eyed Susan
- Assortment of Yellow or Orange fabrics: 4" x 4" per flower (16 flowers in total for quilt)
- Black fabric: 5" x 5" or scraps - only requires small amount for each flower
- Assortment of Light Green fabrics: approx 4½" x 2½" per leaf (32 leaves in total for quilt)
- Assortment of Dark Green fabric: approx 4½" x 2½" per leaf (32 leaves in total for quilt)